Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms the perfect dish when you’re in the mood for a satisfying comfort meal. Tender chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce flavored with a splash of white wine and crumbled bacon.
It’s rich and savory, and it never fails to win rave reviews spooned over pasta or Mashed Potatoes. Serve with a fresh tossed salad for a delicious meal.
To Make Chicken and Mushrooms
Mushroom chicken is not complicated but requires a few steps. First, prep the chicken by filleting the breasts and then pounding them between two sheets of plastic wrap to flatten to ½ inch thick.
- Brown chicken in a pan.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms until softened and stir in white wine and cream.
- Simmer a few minutes and add chicken until heated through.
An alternative method for reheating is to place the chicken fillets in a baking dish after sautéing. Place the dish in a low oven to keep warm while preparing the mushroom sauce. Then raise the heat to 350°F and spoon the sauce over the top and bake until bubbling.
What to Serve it Over
Chicken with mushroom sauce needs a starch to soak up the sauce. Serve it over pasta, egg noodles or rice for a filling and thoroughly satisfying experience.
How to Reheat Creamy Sauce
If you want to make the sauce ahead of time, you’ll need to reheat it.
To do so, place in a pan and warm over low heat without allowing it to boil. When the sauce is steaming hot but not bubbling, add the chicken cutlets and heat through.
My Favorite Sides for Chicken and Mushrooms
Mushroom chicken bake is a sensational main dish, well deserving of a savory roasted side dish to complement its rich heartiness.
Some of my favorites to serve with mushroom chicken pasta are rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, parmesan roasted leeks, or roasted cabbage steaks for a memorable meal.
Must-Try Chicken Recipes
- Oven Baked Chicken Breasts – classic delicious meal!
- Baked Chicken Thighs – oven roasted family favorite
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs – sweet & flavorful marinade!
- Baked Bruschetta Chicken – tender balsamic marinated chicken
- Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets – cook in the oven, grill or campfire!